1934 gold certificate : Free gold miner game download : 1 10 oz gold bullion.

1934 Gold Certificate

1934 gold certificate

    gold certificate

  • (GOLD CERTIFICATES) Written confirmation of ownership of gold without necessarily having to take physical delivery of the metal.
  • (GOLD CERTIFICATES) With the increase of gold in America partially brought on by the rush of the mid 1800’s, this metal became a prevalent asset for exchange.
  • A gold certificate in general is a certificate of ownership that gold owners hold instead of storing the actual gold. It has both a historic meaning as a US paper currency (1882–1933) and a current meaning as a way to invest in gold.

    1934

  • Year 1934 (MCMXXXIV) was a common year starting on Monday (link will display full 1934 calendar) of the Gregorian calendar.

1934 gold certificate – The Art

The Art & Beauty of United States Currency: Gold Certificates: 1863-1934
The Art & Beauty of United States Currency: Gold Certificates: 1863-1934
United States Currency is more than just money. It is exquisite design, fine art and American history combined and pressed in colored inks on fine rag papers. This book features banknotes you may have never seen before in full-color high-resolution at a re-duced size (in the case of Large Sized notes of 1863 to 1928) or enlarged size (in the case of Small Sized notes of 1928 to 1934) to comply with U.S. Treasury laws regarding display of U.S. Currency. Almost every Gold Certificate issued by the United States is shown in this book, except for five notes where no decent image exists because most, if not all, were all redeemed for Gold. The images of the Gold Certificates in this book will give you a fundamental appreciation of the history of our currency and our country.

United States Custom House interior

United States Custom House interior
Financial District, Manhattan

The celebrated interior of the United States Custom House, a magnificent Beaux-Arts design by architect Cass Gilbert, holds a special place as one of the finest examples of government architecture in the United States. The exterior was designated a New York City Landmark on October 14, 1965.

Begun in 1905, the interior was essentially completed in 1909. 1 Gilbert’s design incorporated the motifs of an interior rotunda and an exterior colonnade, both elements of earlier New York custom houses by Town f* Davis and by Isaiah Rogers. He also created a building to satisfy both the practical needs of the Custom Service, at this its busiest location, and to symbolize artistically the unique position which the New York Custom House held in the eyes of the nation and the world.

In the days before income and corporate taxes the national government was run largely on the tariff revenues from imported goods. In 1852 it was estimated that fully 80 percent of the entire country’s customs revenue came from the New York Custom House.

The powers and staff of the Collector of the Port of New York grew with the increasing volume of trade, and because the Collector drew his salary as a percentage of the annual revenue, he boasted a yearly income which was greater than the President’s. In addition, he had about 1,000 well-paying government positions at his disposal and was, in fact, the largest dispenser of Federal patronage in the State of New York. With this immense political Power the Collector achieved a national stature second only to that of the Secretary of the Treasury. In 1884 one reporter summed up the situation:

Three things are perfectly clear to citizens of New York: first, the United States of America constitute the greatest country on earth; second, New York is the greatest city in the country; third, the Custom-House is the greatest institution in the city.

Since 1789 when the Custom Service established, the New York Custom House had moved from one location to another in the lower end of Manhattan. When a fire in 1815 swept through Government House on Bowling Green, where the custom service had been located since 1799, the facility was moved to Wall Street. The first building to be built specifically as a custom house was the well-known Greek Revival structure by Town & Davis at the corner of Wall and Nassau Streets. Now known as Federal Hall, the Town § Davis building was built in 1834. Within thirty years the New York Custom Service had outgrown this building, and 1863 it moved into the former Third Merchants’ Exchange by Isaiah Rogers near the corner of Wall and William Streets. Cass Gilbert’s custom house was built to replace the Rogers building. Indeed Rogers’ classical colonnade and his central rotunda are echoed in Gilbert’s design.

In 1888 a report was sent to the Supervising Architect of the Treasury Department registering a complaint against the custom house at Wall and William which was described as "old, damp, ill-lighted, badly ventilated" with much wasted space. it was pointed out that the Federal government was in the process of paying $75,000 a year to rent office space in New York City and that by building a new Federally-owned facility it could save a considerable sum. Previously one argument for keeping the custom house in the Wall Street area had been the convenience in transporting gold to the Sub-Treasury.

By the end of the 19th century, however, payments on revenue were commonly made by check or certificate. A recommendation was therefore made to build a new custom house on "the three small blocks immediately south of Bowling Green, at the foot of Broadway, fronting on the Battery, between Whitehall and State Streets.”

As the business of the New York Custom House was tightly bound to the political climate of the city, so too was the construction of a new custom house. The Republican political machine wanted exclusive rights in the spending of large sums for construction. In 1892 the Secretary of the Treasury had decided upon the Bowling Green site but work on the custom house could not begin until the old facility was sold which was not until 1899. In the early years of the Republic the President had taken the responsibility for overseeing the construction of Federal buildings, but by 1865 the work was taken over by the Office of the Supervising Architect of the Treasury Department.

Over the years because of the tremendous increase in Federal construction, many felt that better buildings would be achieved if private architects were invited to compete for the design and construction of the Federal work. In 1893 after much pressure from the American Institute of Architects, the Tarsney Act was passed. This act authorized the Secretary of the Treasury, at his discretion, to invite no fewer than five architects to compete for the design of any Federal building. The general supervision of the construction was, however, left to

from gold to silver to paper to plastic to 1's and 0's

from gold to silver to paper to plastic to 1's and 0's
Flickr Group Roulette • "The Invention of Money"

423: The Invention of Money • This American Life
Originally aired 01.07.2011

"Five reporters stumbled on what seems like a basic question: What is money? The unsettling answer they found: Money is fiction."

From Wikipedia:

"Silver Certificates are a type of representative money printed from 1878 to 1964 in the United States as part of its circulation of paper currency.[1] They were produced in response to silver agitation by citizens who were angered by the Fourth Coinage Act, which had effectively placed the United States on a gold standard. The certificates were initially redeemable in the same face value of silver dollar coins, and later in raw silver bullion. Since 1968 they have been redeemable only in Federal Reserve Notes and are thus obsolete, but are still valid legal tender."

1934 gold certificate

1934 gold certificate

1928 - 1934 $10.00 Silver & Gold Certificates Set in Fine+ Condition!
With this handsome set, you’ll enjoy: Series 1934D $10 Silver Certificate – last issued more than 55 years ago. Displays distinctive blue seal and serial numbers, and would have purchased almost 12 ounces of silver in 1953. The Silver Act of 1963 put an end to traditional 90% silver coins – and these classic notes. Series 1928 $10 Gold Certificate – from the only small-size Gold Certificate series – last printed in 1932. Displays eye catching gold seal and serial numbers, and would have purchased nearly half an ounce of gold. Millions were destroyed after the Gold Recall Order of 1933. Both notes feature a portrait of founding father Alexander Hamilton on the face, with the U.S. Treasury building on back.